Thursday, February 24, 2011

Free Cupcakes!

After hosting a cupcake decorating event, I found myself in a rut, I had about 30 cupcake that had gone untouched. I cleaned up, headed back to to the office, and decided that my best bet was to stand outside and offer the treats up...I mean what college student can resist free food?

There was this one taker, a man, that 3 days after the fact has stayed very clear in my mind. When I offered him a cupcake, his face immediately lit up. He said, "are you serious",  I said of course, and from my response a smile came across his face that was big enough to make my day... I offered him two more just for his enthusiasm. He walked away, and later came back just to say,  "You have really made my day, these are going to sustain me for the next few hours, thank you."

I don't know why this five minute encounter was special, but it was, I believe it was his energy, the energy of human connection that made that mark on my memory.

Human interaction, the act of saying thanks, of being grateful--- it's the random moments in life that build on its ever questioning meaning.

No comments:

Post a Comment